Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The rewards....

My friend Gloria came over for a short lesson this afternoon. You know, there is a reason that I do what I do. It is hearing someone like Gloria play that makes all of it worthwhile. You spend so many hours with children that do not have adequate support to succeed, adequate interest to suceed and many others area that fall short. But in life there are those that come along with all their ducks in a row and they are the reason we teachers do what we do. Gloria sat down and played the 1st Excursion for Piano by Samuel Barber. What an experience to listen to her play that. I have played it and it was a pivotal piece in my life, it taught me there was music that didn't follow the rules established by Bach but that was still wonderful music. What a joy to hear her play and to know that I had a real part in this journey. I listen to her today for free but there is a day coming all too soon when I will not be able to afford the tickets to hear this young lady. She plays my recital on the 4Th of June and Benaroya on the 5Th for big money. Yah, this one is going places and I will enjoy every step of the way knowing that she will succeed because she has family support and willingness to invest her considerable talent.

And the other side of the recital, we have lots and lots of beginners playing this year. It is always good to have beginners and most are from Emily. She does a great job with introducing students to the piano and I think the recital will show that. And the other positive side.....having the recital done means I have yet one more chunk of time open up for summer kind of things. Yah, it is a good thing.

No comments: