Friday, February 22, 2008

rose bushes

I pruned the rose bushes this afternoon. I like doing it early because I don't have to cut off so much that is green and growing. Mind you, I cut off the potential but that is easier than the real leaves. Roses are something I would like to grow well, but I don't. So be it, I refuse to spend all the hours necessary to do a good job. I like what I have and they bloom to a degree. Roses bloom better when pruned rather harshley. Kind of like people. I think some of the most beautiful people are those that have been pruned the most. I know I am always improved by a spell of hard things. Interesting how we grow kind of like Roses, so with that in mind, why don't I embrace my hardships? Because they are hard, dang it! And hard is just not fun to deal with. There has been a lot of personal pruning in my world and it seems to be going on and on. I know it will make me a better and stronger person, but I get tired of the cuts even if they are for my own good.

I was supposed to fly to Salt Lake to see Lawrence, Michelle and Nancy this weekend but things just didn't work out. There is a funneral in the ward and everyone was having issues that I would not be there to pull things together. It is nice to be needed but I would like some freedom eventually. I was really looking forward to being off Island and in the real world, but instead I am home pruning the roses and making dinner. Linda and Curtis are coming over so that is a good thing. I love feeding Curtis, he loves to eat and I love to have some appreciate what I cook. Larry seems to prefer corn flakes to my food and that is hard sometimes. But Curtis, he loves food as much as I do. Mind you, both of us are a wee bit fat but he is a good fat when it comes to pleasing his mother-in-law!

Today is also the last day for work at the county for Larry. Retirement starts Monday. May I say that I am terrified of this. He doesn't seem to like me and my world very much and having him around and underfoot all the time just sounds awful. Mind you, I probably will never see him but the hours will be crazy and I have grown accustomed to having time where I dont have to be careful of his needs and wants. It will be a hard adjustment for me....I think he will handle it better.

No comments: