Saturday, October 18, 2008

A Day Away


I found myself annoyed at the walls that I deal with day in and day out so I decided to take a trip. Mind you, I had neither time nor money for a trip so I made it a short trip! This is Lake Wenatchee State Park. I thought the leaves were beautiful and it reminded me of a picture my mother painted again and again. She painted a scene like this in the summer colors, the spring, touched with snow in the winter and, of course, he most favorite, in fall finery. I can't say as I left home thinking this was where I was going, but I kind of found myself here as I was following paths I used to take 30 plus years ago. Lots has changed in those 30 years, but many things have not changed. The leaves are just as beautiful, the roads nearly as empty, the woods more full of homes and the feeling almost the same. It was one of my favorite running away places all those years ago.
I enjoy my job as a teacher, as a mom and grandmother, but I really do get tired of the sameness of my life. Each day is pretty much like the day before and like the day that will follow. I guess that comes with doing most everything alone. I am content most of the time, but sometimes I just need to look at something more than home turf has to offer.
I remember going to New York City eons ago, alone, and thinking how much alone a person could be surrounded by litterly millions of people. I walked down Wall street, down 5Th Avenue and Broadway alone. There were crowds everywhere but it was still one of the most alone times of my life. I spent almost 10 days wandering the city alone. And the reality, that was not a problem. I have always enjoyed my own company and nothing much has changed. I find it easier to be alone sometimes than in the presence of people that fail to recognize you exist. That is the kind of alone feeling that is most difficult. Walking the Wenatchee River with Daisy dog didn't feel alone at all, but surrounded by people that fail to recognize I have a personality, needs and interests, well, that is the core of being alone...the negative alone. I have come to the conclusion that alone is more a mental thing than a physical thing. You can combat a physical alone feeling, but the mental, well, that is different. That said, I need to stay in contact with me and my adventures out into the world are those times to stay in contact with me....well, unless someone better comes along!

No comments: