Saturday, September 20, 2008

generations


Anyone that does not believe life is an on going process needs only to look at these two men working side by side, or kind of side by side. They go out to the orchard and load their wheel barrows with the clippings and then they head to the garden to deposit them to be composted back into the soil. James could not be more pleased with himself than when he is outside doing his "work" for the day. And I don't think I need to comment on how pleased his Grandfather is to have him tagging along. He complains frequently but I don't think he would trade these minutes for the world. Talk about power, watching your life and knowing it is going to continue long after you leave this earth. It tickled me.
Fall started today and I will have to admit I was not ready for that to happen. August was such a cold month that the heat of September was really welcomed. Particularly when it cooled down every evening so sleeping was always possible. But today we are back to the gray that is the trademark of Washington. It is good but....
I went out and picked another batch of blackberries this noon. The strange weather of the last two months has given us a good crop. The blackberries are fat and, for the most part, juicy. Some are pretty dry but you just pick around them. I think we take our abundance for granted sometimes. How many areas can walk down the road and harvest enough blackberries to make a crisp and do it within 15 minutes? That is pretty unique to the Island, pretty unique to our rural area and something I will always appreciate.

No comments: