Saturday, March 21, 2009

Primroses

I wandered out and spent a few minutes in the yard today, pulled some weeds and other fun things like that. Kind of between sun shine and not, trying hard to hit the real thing and actually missing it totally. Such is early spring in Washington, changes rather frequently. My circle of primroses caught my eye and made me think. The table decorations from my parents memorial were primroses, and then my friend Avery Wilson purchased more for me rather than sending flowers or a card (by the way, she was probably 11 at the time). I enjoyed all the bright colors of the primroses until they no longer had color to share and then I planted them in my flower bed and encircled them with rocks to give them some structure. Every spring they make their much welcomed statement in the early spring and every year I remember my parents and most particularly my mother as she loved her gardens way more than I, as a child, thought healthy! I am sure she is smiling from her home on high on those beautiful flowers, and so am I. They were a gift to honor my mother from a young lady that I enjoy working with, a very thoughtful gift to me and to my mother.

And that made me think further. I have this wonderful contorted filbert that I love in front of the house. It probably garnishes more comments than anything else I have growing outside and I love it. When Larry's sister died we were given a planter filled with spring flowers and, like the plants from my parents memorial, I love their bright colors until they were all gone and then I emptied the container into the flower bed by the filbert. Each spring I have a beautiful display of deep purple minature Iris and some minature tulips and small daffodills that are among the earliest colors in the garden. They make me remember Susan and all the positive things she taught me. Her life was kind of a tradjidy, but she taught me the power of honesty. She made mistakes and she paid high for those mistakes, but she was so open and honest with me and taught me many things.

I love spring flowers, but most of all I love spring flowers that mean something to my heart as well as to my eyes. (Humm, spell checker is not working so you get this one raw. Does not this stupid computer know I need all the help I can get when it comes to spelling!)

No comments: