Tuesday, June 23, 2009

paper or paperless

All bank statements and other bills of the sort always ask if you want paper or paperless. Nice thought but does it really work? I always check paperless in that I can print things off at home if I truly want them. Being of the paper generation I prefer to have things in a hard copy for my files, so I do opt to print most things at home. However, if it is paperless then how come I spend so much of my time shuffling papers? Seems like I sit down to my desk and there is always this collection of papers that need attention. They need to be filed, they need to be paid, they need to be read and so the list goes. And my complaints are minimal in the grand scheme of things, after all, my life is not that complicated!

The radio keeps talking about help getting folks out of debt and that makes me wonder how much paper the average person has to deal with. I don't have a fraction of what many have. I wish the world knew the simplicity that used to exist before Credit cards. You had the money, you purchased the item, no money no purchase. It was a pretty simple formula but it did not give the financial institutions the scope to make massive profits. Credit cards came into being and banks sprouted up like dandelions in the yard. Where there was one bank there are now eight banks, and all seem to be doing quite well as far as I can tell. Of course, they are all working off of my money, mine as in a tax payer, but their top echelons have to have their yachts and bonuses you know! Boy would I love to close all banks but a couple and then have the CEO make no more than double the line worker. All would win and maybe we could stop spending what we don't have.

Back to my papers and then to a walk. Should do it the other way around but I am waiting for the day to warm up a little before I take off.

No comments: