Wednesday, July 29, 2009

news flash

My family has lived in the Maxwelton Valley for over 100 years. My mother kept track of the high and low marks in the valley for well over 50 years on a daily basis, prior to that it was just on observation but not recorded. She said she had seen 99 degrees but never 100, and she had seen 1 but never 0. Well, today we broke the century mark but good. I saw 105 on the thermometer in the kitchen for most of the afternoon! No, that is not a typo, that is really what I saw. It is hot beyond belief and has been all week, building to this record breaking day. According to the news folk it has shattered the recorded temperatures in Western Washington. Shattered by several degrees records that have stood a long time and, with a little bit of luck, will stand forever or until I no longer care. What a miserable day to be trapped in heat beyond reason! There is nothing one can do. Even the pool is so hot that dipping in the water offers no cool, and the sun is burning down enough to burn the most tanned of bodies. Yah, this day will be one to remember and one that I want to forget really soon.

No comments: