Saturday, September 12, 2009

Even birds take naps




The morning was well underway when I saw this great Blue Heron on the post. His head was drooped down and he looked to be sleeping. I was talking to Emily on the phone so I hung up and located my camera. By the time I got the camera he was starting to wake up, (and of course I have the pictures posted backwards so number 2 is actually number 1) and the second pose is his full attention on the sounds I was making. I will have to admit he had probably been out hunting for food for many hours before I saw him, but I had never seen such a tired bird on a post before.

There are days that I feel the same way, but give me something to occupy my brain and I come right to attention. He was not sure if I intended to eat him or just watch him and paid close attention until my intentions were clear. And then he lost interest and headed out into the air to find a more private place to take his nap.

One thing I can not complain about is the neighbors at the cabin. When you can claim blue heron as your closest neighbor then you know you are living in the right place. There are at least 3 on the beach all the time, foraging food or just watching the coming and going of tides.

No comments: