Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Canning is beautiful

You know, in a world of many beautiful things I find one of the most beautiful things to be canning placed on a shelf. The jars are canned peaches and/or peach pie filling awaiting a trip up to the house to be placed lovingly on the shelf. Canning and I have a love/hate relationship. I always go through the full spectrum of feelings while I can, I hate the mess but I love the results. I am empowered by the process but annoyed by the slowness. Yah, I hit them all, but nothing is as beautiful as shelves full of good food. And as a side light, if you can pale peaches you get pale product, if you can a peach with good color you get a good colored product. These are O'Henry peaches and they are vibrant before canning and can up beautifully. Or maybe I have been canning too many pears recently when you aim for as near white as you can get.

That all said, I need to go teach some piano lessons. Like canning, it is a love/hate relationship. I love it when the student is prepared and wanting to do better, I hate it when I am pulling them through the literature. Yah....doesn't that describe life in general.

No comments: