Wednesday, February 3, 2010

growing older

Today Sue's grandmother was honored on the "Today Show". She is celebrating her 107th birthday. That was not a typing mistake, she is one hundred and seven years old! What an amazing thing. I think I remember meeting her years ago, but I know I have heard much about her. She is sharp mentally and physically strong for her years. I think it has been only the last two years that she has lived in an assisted living situation. I know Sue speaks highly of her, she talks about her positive outlook and her kindness to others. That seems to be the key to a long life, to live in such a way that you gain strength from the good things of others. And to stay invested in the future, something she seems to do well.

Her situation is interesting. She was aware of world war 1 and 2 and all the other conflicts that have come our way. She has seen the world go from horses as a mainstay to space travel. She has seen the beginning of transistors, of computers and, almost, of typewriters. What an amazing life span she has had. Talk about perspective on many things, this is a woman that has pretty much seen it all and been there to learn from it. It would be wonderful to sit down and just listen to what she has to say....but that can't happen so I will reply on Sue to share her insights with me. And if anyone can do that it is Sue, she is so gifted with words and has that same kindness that her grandmother has.

Am I concerned with growing older? No, not really. I will admit it sounds strange to my ear to say that I am 60 but it is not a bad strange. I have just spent 10 years saying I was fifty this or that and saying I am 60 feels strange. But I am expecting an amazing decade. Like my children's wonderful birthday thing, a decade of travel is what I am looking at. The first travel will be this weekend. Kristin and I are going to the Ballet in Seattle on Saturday. OK, not major but it is a beginning and we both really do enjoy dance so it is big for us! Sleeping beauty should be beautiful, I have never seen it nor has Kristin. Each day is another adventure and I look forward to almost all of them.

No comments: