Friday, July 25, 2008

You are living my life...

I got an interesting letter from my friend Sue. We date back forever, well, nearly. We became friends when we were 18 and that is forever in my book. Anyway, she and husband Gordy live what she joingly calls the "Orange County Life Style". The beautiful home and all the trappings surround this extremely down to earth family. Looking in you see one thing and talking you hear something different. Gordy is a very successfull CEO and travels the world all the time. Sue has been a secretary by choice and recently stopped working so she could travel more with Gordy. They spend about a week every month it would appear out of the country. Most recently they returned from the huge Air Show in England (Gordy's work was at the airshow) where Sue had a week to tour the UK. She saw all the places one would want to see and even was granted the priviledge of seeing Queen Elizabeth, rather unexpected but nice all the same.

Growing up I was sure I would marry a professional and call the world my home, she thought she would stay planted and manage a family. We have switched identities it would seem. We are both satisfied with our lives, but there is this piece of me that still desperately wants to travel and to expand my reference. I don't do much, just parent in all the vastness of that word. All important and it is my choice, but there is still the world out there and I have seen none of it. I try to keep an eternal perspective and that helps, because I will be able to see and do so much when I leave this world for the better one to come....but I still wish I were not so tied sometimes. I would love to take each of the grandchildren on a tour of somewhere and do something. That, however, will not be happening so I will just leave them lots of writings and that will have to suffice. My mind and I can still travel at will and will continue to do so as long as it is functional...and that better be a dang long time because I have lots to imagine doing!

1 comment:

Michiko said...

I enjoyed reading posts from sixintheworld.com last year. It is a blog of an LDS family of 6, traveling the world for a year. It was so much fun traveling the world vicariously through them! I too, wish the world was my playground. Maybe once the itty-bitties are more grown. . .