Friday, August 8, 2008

Blue berries

One would think blue berries would be getting near the end of their season but they don't seem to be doing that. This has been a good year for those little blue critters. I have made at least two dozen quarts of pie filling plus frozen a bunch just as whole berries for future pan cakes and muffins. The family keeps telling me more is better but I am thinking I have gone a wee bit overboard this year. I have so many processed for storage and no one is eating them. Mind you, if I made more pies we would eat more pies. But Larry rarely eats them, the crazy man seems to prefer corn flakes to almost everything, so, being the good little girl that I am, I finish them off and.... and the results of that habit of finishing things off has greatly increased my circumference over the years. So I just process the berries and I don't eat them.
When Linda is no longer pregnant she swears she will use some for her gatherings. And Emily says she practices great conservation on her quarts of pie filling also. I have encouraged her to use a little less conservation until I get the count down a little. Even Nancy has kind of caught the vision as to the easy pie process. Purchase the crust, open the jar, dump and cook...how much easier could that be! Lawrence makes his own crusts but he too has been slow to use the abundance of berries.
Meanwhile, I have picked over a gallon of berries today. It has taken me all day as I pick awhile and then do something else for a time and go back later. I think this is the end of the back-log created with my trip South. I am back on top so it will not take so many hours each day. Ah the joys of abundance!
I do have ulterior motives for doing this however. I can see food storage as a more and more important part of our lives as the economy becomes more and more challenging. We have plenty of healthy food storage, but who wants to live a totally healthy life. I need sugar and processing these berries guarantees me a supply of sweet things for at least a year. One can live on wheat and beans, but it will be much more worth living with sweets!

1 comment:

Michiko said...

Thanks for the tip on the hand pies, I think you are right - I need to make a sturdier crust.

Good job on all the food storage!