Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The rest of the story...

I have taken the time to tell the world at large my lack of infatuation with the Rug Doctor, so I might as well finish off the thought. The rugs downstairs look a lot better, however the above mentioned device leaves them too wet and in Washington that means they rot rather than dry. Yah, they greeted me the next day at the front door with an unfriendly smell that said I should have left well enough alone. I decided the best defence was to pretend I didn't smell what I knew I smelled and that time would just fix it. I am sure it would have too, in weeks or months. I gave in a built a fire down stairs, brought in fans and air fresheners and tried to make my house smell appropriate. Took 4 days but the down stairs carpets are now down stairs again. I won't do that again soon!

And then there were the hard wood floors. They need attention way too frequently but, while on the topic of floors, I decided to work on them too. It would save me a bucket of time if they were sanded and an appropriate sealer put on them, but that takes money and contracts and all sorts of things I am short on. So I use work instead. I started in the living room, swept three times in an attempt to get all the little dust bunnies. Then I moped three times trying to insure the dust bunnies were extinct. And finally I applied 3 coats of wax, being careful not to read the instructions too carefully, particularly the part about not applying to unfinished floors. They are right, of course, but this is my little fake-finish routine. For a couple of weeks it really looks like the floors are finished. Then for a couple of weeks it looks like I just need to mop and/or bag the floors and then, well, and then it looks like I need to get going and do it all again. I purchase a month, give or take, with each day of hard work. Did the living room on one day and then the dinning room on another. Tomorrow it will be the hall way and then I will sit back and enjoy the faux-finish. I tell you, when I have a better clue as to the next step in my life I will either refinish the floors or I will just walk away.

And yes, there is a life beyond floors. Now we need to discuss bathrooms....NOT.

2 comments:

Linda Kincaid said...

I say you finish the floors. I am sure with your aging tattered thumbs they could use a little vacation on that account.

Leanne said...

Get your crystal ball out and then I will know what to do! I would rather wax than write checks most of the time! As Emily says, only 9 fast Sundays and I will at least know what they will do and that might have bearing on what I do.